Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Random Reading, etc.

For some reason I feel compelled to update my blog but haven’t the slightest idea why. I’m reasonably sure that no one is hovering over their computer waiting for my latest book recommendation so they can rush down to the local library and pick it up. But, because it’s been almost two months since I posted an entry, here’s an update on what I’ve been reading lately and a few accompanying thoughts.

Riptide by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Several weeks ago, I met Douglas Preston at an author presentation and book signing in Sugar House at the Barnes and Noble. He was doing the promotional tour for his latest solo novel, Impact. I had reserved a copy of Impact at the Bountiful Library and received it within day or two of its release. By the time Mr. Preston came to town, I had started and stopped reading Impact, barely 50 pages into it. The book was too crude and vulgar for my tastes and a huge disappointment as I had previously considered Preston one of my favorite authors. The contrast was pronounced compared to previous Preston works and I was left to wonder why the sudden change of style. Perhaps he was going for the movie deal, as my son suggested when I told him about the book. Yes, it does seem that many of the hit movies coming out of Hollywood nowadays are crude and vulgar so maybe my son was right. Still I was disappointed; disappointed enough to post a review on Amazon forewarning others holding similar values to avoid Impact. And I was disappointed enough that I almost didn't go to the signing. However, I decided I wouldn't let one book detract from the dozens of others he has written that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed so I attended the author event.

I found Douglas Preston to be warm, friendly, engaging and delightful in person, and not once did he swear or say anything vulgar. So I bought a copy of Riptide at the signing as a small show of support.

Riptide is vintage Preston and Child and a four star recreational read. It’s a page turner that stretches plausibility a bit, but not enough to detract from the enjoyment. It kept both me and my wife (who read it after I did) guessing until the end and that’s how good fiction should be. Riptide would be even better if read on the beach!



Passion & ICE by Stephen F. Steffano. This is a book on leading with values that probably no one has heard of and even fewer people have read. Steve used to be an executive at Glaxo Smith Kline and the type of person you could call Steve because he was as humble and down to earth as they come. I say was because he is no longer at GSK and while I’m certain he is still humble and down to earth, I can’t really say for sure. What I can say is that after reading his book, the mystery of why he unexpectedly took early retirement became much clearer. The I C E in ICE stands for Integrity, Courage and Empathy; attributes which none of the current GSK leaders exemplify.


The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. Apparently, Randy Pausch’s last lecture was so good they pubished it in a book! A computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University, Mr. Pausch was diagnosed with terminal cancer in the prime of his life and insisted on doing one last lecture to preserve a memorial for his two young children. The lecture was entitled 'Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams' and it was filled with feel good, win one for the Gipper, self-improvement type stuff. Sad to admit, but I’ve grown tired of these types of motivational messages. It’s because my life experience has made me into a realist—and as one of my missionary companions used to say, “realism is just a euphemism for pessimism.” If I were to give a last lecture, my title would be: 'Dream Small, and You Won’t Be Disappointed.'

Lightening by Dean Koontz. Often when selecting a novel by an author that churns them out at the rate of 2-3 per year and has been doing so forever, I will consider the star rating on Amazon. Lightening is one of Koontz’s earlier novels (1988) and also one of his highest rated: 4 ½ stars according to Amazon reviewers. I checked out a beat-up old copy from the library and devoured it in just a couple of days. This is a great piece of fiction—5 stars in my opinion. In past postings, I’ve suggested that reading Dean Koontz is an acquired taste because of his affection for the creepy and bizarre. Apparently he wasn't as prone to creepiness in his earlier works because Lightening is remarkably sedate in this regard. Lightening is a riveting thriller that's as good as it gets in this particular genre; a book both you and your mother will enjoy.


2 comments:

Maria_the_Oiler said...

Very interesting post about Steve, since he worked with our department right before he retired, I got to learn a little more about him, and I still could not figure him out, Maybe because I tried to group him in with the other Execs here and could not make it fit in my head. And I too hate when writers feel they have to be vulgar and use the awe and shock effect to grab our attention, but I wonder how much of that is truly them and how much of it is the influence of the editor’s pen? Bravo to writers like Christopher Paolini !

Patti said...

I think I'm just jealous because you read that many books in the last two months. One day! So many books, so little time! Thanks for the reviews. It helps me be more discriminate in what I add to my reading list as well as exposing me to authors not yet discoverered. :D