Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I’m not sure how I became aware of The Road. No one recommended it to me. The author was unfamiliar. Probably saw an ad for the movie and discovered it was based upon the book.

Thirty six years ago, I made a personal decision to not watch R rated movies. Occasionally one comes along that tests my resolve. Not really. If the movie is R rated, does that mean the book is too? I don’t know.

Something about The Road intrigued me. I read the book. I would not give it an R rating but I can see how the movie would be deserving. Actual images are generally far more graphic than imagined.

It’s embarrassing to confess my deficiency but I’ve never read anything like The Road. I’m not sure how to describe it. The language adds more to the story than the story adds to the story. But the dearth of words enhances the emotional impact. Does writing style transcend words to communicate subliminally? I think so.

Cormac McCarthy was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for writing The Road. I can see why. I can also see this book being dissected in upper division literature classes. It might be a form of poetry for all I know. Some of the metaphor and simile I did not understand. It was okay. Subliminal communication.

Imagine a post apocalyptic earth where nearly everything living has been destroyed and survival instinct rules the few humans who remain. You will not only imagine it better after reading The Road, you will feel it.

It’s about a father and a son. Survival instinct needs not be egocentric.

Is hope to be found where there is no rationale for hope? Yes. If you’re carrying the fire.

The Road is now among my top five favorite books of all time.

2 comments:

Patti said...

Well then, I better take a look. My dad loves Cormac McCarthy so it will make him happy too. :D

Aron (he's dreamy) said...

Let's have a read, shall we then?