Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stones into Schools, by Greg Mortenson

Occasionally, friends who read my book blog will comment on something I’ve written and say to me, “I wish I had more time to read.” I am completely sympathetic to this response. Only in recent years has the pace of my life slowed to the point that I have more discretionary time for reading. This review is for those of you who like to read but have difficulty finding the time to do so. If you only have time for one book this month (or this year) I strongly suggest Stones into Schools, by Greg Mortenson. This is a must read, in my opinion. Truly the world would be a better place if more people thought and acted like Greg Mortenson and his colleagues at the Central Asia Institute.

Subtitled, Promoting Peace With Books, Not Bombs, In Afghanistan and Pakistan, Stones into Schools is without question, the most uplifting and inspiring book I’ve read since, well, Greg Mortenson’s last best seller, Three Cups of Tea. (See my review of Three Cups of Tea by clicking on Older Posts at the end of this page and scrolling to the date of February 8, 2009.)

Since reading Three Cups of Tea, I’ve often wondered how the work of Dr. Greg has progressed; especially considering the almost daily news reports of unrest and insurgency along both sides of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. Stones into Schools picks up where Three Cups left off and chronicles the work of the CAI into October, 2009—nicely filling the gap between books with even more unbelievable stories of vision, perseverance, and selfless sacrifice.

I’m at a loss for words in trying to describe the power and impact of this book. Its messages of tolerance and compassion, of hope and understanding, of trust and unity contrast sharply with the daily deluge of negativity and gloom that so often engulfs us. Interestingly, my wife completed the book several days before I did but did not want to talk about it until I had finished. When we did begin to discuss it, our first thoughts were exactly the same: shouldn’t we be doing more to make a difference?

Stones into Schools is a journal-like narrative that reads like an adventure novel, complete with intrigue, suspense, and feats of super heroism. The account deals extensively with the CAI’s efforts to rebuild schools and restore confidence after the devastating earthquake that struck the Azad Kashmir area of Pakistan in 2005. It also chronicles the expansion of school building in Afghanistan, including the isolated Wakhan Corridor where even transporting materials to the building sites presented seemingly insurmountable challenges—not to mention the fact that a war was being held at the same time. One account describes Taliban soldiers throwing grenades through school windows and spraying acid in the faces of girls attending classes. Yet Dr. Greg and his Dirty Dozen, as he calls them, were undeterred.

In a day when worthy role models are few and far between, I nominate Greg Mortenson and Sarfraz Khan for the boys and Nasreen Baig for the girls; with honorable mention going to host of others including Mortenson’s wife Tara, Colonel Christopher Kolenda (and the other U.S. Military commanders trying to make a difference with books, not bombs) and all the brave young Afghani girls who attend school under the threat of death from the Taliban. Once again, if you only have time for one book this year, you will not regret choosing Stones into Schools, by Greg Mortenson.

1 comment:

Patti said...

I'm so glad I read your blog. I thought this second book was just another version of 3 Cups of Tea. I have wondered how the schools fared with the political upheavals and earthquakes in that area over the last few years. I'm excited to find out! And I totally agree with you - I need to find some way to do more.