Sunday, February 8, 2009

Book Recommendation: 3 Cups of Tea ...

This evening before dinner, I asked my wife if she had remembered to put in a request at the library for 3 Cups of Tea on audio CD. She hadn’t. I said she needed to and began telling her why. “It is without doubt the most fascinating and thought provoking book I’ve read in a long time,” I said.

“You say that about every book you read,” my visiting daughter-in-law chipped in.

Amy is probably right. I do tend to get excited about my choices of reading material and frequently my favorite book of all time is the one I’ve just completed—or maybe I’m just easily enthralled. (3 Cups of Tea really is different though.)

3 Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace … One School at a Time by authors Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, was recommended to me by a dear friend a few months ago and I finally got around to picking it up after seeing it everywhere for weeks afterward. As usual, I’m slow on the uptake—the book was published in January of 2007.

Although 3 Cups is the true story of Greg Mortenson’s quest to build schools in the remote areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan, to me the book read like a suspense novel. Admittedly, much of my anxiety was spawned by the realization that I couldn’t begin to do what Mr. Mortenson has done and wouldn’t have lasted a minute in the conditions he was compelled to endure. Imagine beginning virtually every social and business interaction by sitting down on a rug strewn dirt floor in a one room hut and drinking tea flavored with rancid Yak milk. Or having mutton and bread on the menu for most every meal, and eating every part of the sheep except the wool. And how about foregoing personal hygiene for months at a time, sleeping with smoke from Yak dung fires filling the room, and tolerating the proximity of perhaps dozens of other snoring men who have never practiced personal hygiene in the first place!

I confess: I’m a creature of comfort. My definition of “roughing it” is staying in hotel other than Marriott. I live in daily fear of being asked to spend a night at scout camp. Given the choice, I will always choose bottled water over tap; but only if it is a reputable brand. I have a hard time tolerating foul odors and possess a super sensitive gag reflex. I’m not comfortable driving on roads that require a handy supply of dynamite in case a rock slide is encountered.

On one occasion after 9/11, Dr. Greg, as he was affectionately called, was forced to hide in the back of a truck under piles of freshly removed goat skins to avoid being captured by the Taliban. After escaping, the residue of goat blood and guts that stained his body and clothing remained for days due to the lack of washing facilities in rural Afghanistan. Granted, I too might choose goat skins rather than be-heading, but would prefer staying as far away from facing those options as possible!

Still, when the substance of a book hijacks my dreams and dominates my waking thoughts for days in a row, I immediately want to share it with others. When a book introduces new concepts to me, clarifies my understanding, and inspires me to think differently, I’m gratified in spite of my newly revealed deficiencies. When the virtues of the protagonists compel me to rethink my goals and aspirations, I’m humbled and thankful. 3 Cups of Tea provided all of the above and much, much more.

Although Greg Mortenson is listed as first author of the book, I doubt that he did much of the actual writing. It’s clearly evident from the biographical portions of the book that this unassuming man would rather run from the spotlight than into it. But what he has accomplished in terms of promoting peace through education and service (especially for girls) in Pakistan and Afghanistan over the last ten years is beyond comprehension. One of Greg Mortenson’s life-long heroes was Mother Teresa and I daresay he is valiantly following in her footsteps.

There are many other noteworthy themes in 3 Cups of Tea that warrant recommending this book. The descriptions of Muslim culture and tribal customs are insightful and promote empathy and understanding. The power of one in affecting change is stirring. The triumph of virtue is heartening. That hope vanquishes despair is a timely reminder.

So Amy, if you are reading this commentary, I’ll make you a deal. When my sweetheart gets 3 Cups of Tea on audio CD (which she surely will) you can listen to it too and decide for yourself if this must read book is both fascinating and thought provoking. I’m confident you will agree that it is.

3 Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace … One School at a Time by authors Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. Also released two weeks ago in a version for younger readers entitled: Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Journey to Change the World... One Child at a Time, by Greg Mortenson, David Oliver Relin, Jane Goodall, and Sarah Thomson.


1 comment:

Patti said...

I wish everyone would read this book just to see the difference one person can make - not on such a large scale perhaps, but something. It got me geared up to go do something I'd always wanted to. The glimpse of how things work in Pakistan and Afghanistan sheds light on events happening now. The people he came to know and love in the little villages. The descriptions of the mountains and country. I loved this book!