Friday, December 19, 2008

Mighty Fine Reading!

Those who have kept up with my recent book reviews will know that for the past several months, I have been reading a lot of very good history and have thoroughly enjoyed this foray into the world of non-fiction. But lest you think I have changed my literary preference to more scholarly and admirable pursuits, I shall set the record straight right here by saying there is seldom anything I enjoy reading more than a fast moving, heart pounding, plot twisting, novel.

But not just any brand of said novel will do. I do not like books containing gratuitous sex and violence, repeated use of the R-rated curse word and other profanity, or prose so replete with technical minutia and jargon that it feels like I’m reading a computer manual. I do like historical fiction, plausible fiction, and fiction that so closely resembles the truth that I start to wonder if it might really be true!

With the above in mind, permit me to recommend four novels that met all my criteria for excellent recreational reading.

The Camel Club by David Baldacci

The Collectors by David Baldacci

Stone Cold by David Baldacci

Divine Justice by David Baldacci

Yup, it’s a series, but the good news is that it’s a four book series and all four are in current release. Being slow on the uptake as I usually am, the first three books were already out when I began reading them, and the fourth, Divine Justice was released early last month so I only had to wait a couple of weeks for it. All of these books in the Camel Club series are such page turners, I can only imagine the stress of having to wait a year for the next one to come out if I had read each when first released—not to mention forgetting the subtle clues and puzzle pieces that Baldacci is so skillful at including in his work.

If you enjoy intrigue and suspense set in the context of current U.S. and world events, you will love this series. Midway through The Collectors, you might be looking over your shoulder. These Baldacci novels are rife with conspiracy theory, instances of government corruption, deception, greed and lust for power at the highest levels. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good and like all great story tellers, Baldacci does such a wonderful job of developing his characters that you know them intimately within remarkably few pages.

Both Robyn and I read each of these books and the first thing we discussed after I had finished was whether the series was over, or whether there would be more. “Do you think Divine Justice was left open enough for a follow up or do you think this is it?” she asked.

“I think this is it,” I replied. “But I sure would like more."

“So would I,” she said, “so would I.”

The Camel Club, The Collectors, Stone Cold and Divine Justice by David Baldacci; highly entertaining and virtually no swearing!

No comments: