Monday, October 6, 2008

John Adams, by David McCullough

John Adams, the Pulitzer Award winning volume by David McCullough, was published in January, 2001. On the one had, I deeply regret that it took me almost eight years to get to around to reading this wonderful work. On the other hand, studying the life of John Adams and the birth of our country in the context of the current Presidential campaign has been most interesting! All pre-existing notions I held that partisan politics with its attendant acrimony and divisiveness was a relatively modern invention, were rapidly dispelled in the pages of this book. In fact, rancor from within and without the newly formed government became so severe that in 1798, Congress passed the infamous Sedition Act, which made it a crime to write anything “false, scandalous, and malicious” against the government, Congress or the President. Not only did the Sedition Act of 1798 clearly violate the First Amendment to the Constitution guaranteeing freedom of speech, it failed to achieve the desired effect; serving mostly to make heroes of those tossed into prison for daring to speak out.

Things haven’t changed much. Political battlegrounds remain rife with deception, intrigue, and innuendo; the more outlandish the claim, the greater the acclaim. For some strange reason, it’s almost comforting to know we are not worse today—the thought being that historically our nation has managed to survive in spite of its self-serving leaders.

While it’s tempting to devote the bulk of this review to the obscure facts surrounding the American Revolution and the progression of independence, and to expose the characters involved (I found Alexander Hamilton, for instance, to be such a scoundrel that I couldn’t wait for Aaron Burr to shoot him) it is the protagonists of the story, John and Abigail Adams that captured my imagination. I will state right here that while there is much to be admired about General George Washington and his distinguished service to the United States of America, the true father of our country in my opinion, is John Adams. And John Adams would never have achieved the distinction he did without his devoted companion and confidant, Abigail Smith Adams.

As recounted in the Acknowledgments section of this book, beginning on page 654 in my trade paperback edition, “The Adams Papers, from which most of this book had been drawn, may be rightly described as a national treasure. There is no comparable written record of a prominent American family.”

That both John and Abigail were prolific letter writers, diligent diary keepers, and compiled meticulous family records throughout their lives, is alone inspiring. That David McCullough has so thoroughly researched these papers and faithfully prepared his manuscript, seems almost super-human. I believe it would be bordering on blasphemy to question the accuracy of any part of the book, John Adams—the proof is so well documented and preserved.

John Adams is exceptional read on so many levels. The historical content is precise and impeccable. John Adams the man is an individual of exceptional discipline, unwavering conviction and incontrovertible integrity. Abigail Adams is a woman without guile, one possessed of uncommon judgment and understanding; compassionate; worthy of adoration and emulation. In marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Adams achieved a level of interdependence and unity rare in their day and a lofty standard even in ours. Young and older married couples would do well to learn from their example.

John and Abigail Adams constantly wrote to one another and to family, friends, and associates. The beauty of their expression and the power of their written words even in everyday letters compelled me to read many passages over and over. It is now my intention to begin studying John Adams again, this time with the aim of compiling quotes from both John and Abigail that I will post on my bathroom mirror, keep in a file for preparing talks and lessons, and memorize just so I can become a better person by assimilating their wisdom and virtues. I can honestly say that no other book, outside of the scriptures, has impacted me more spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally, than has John Adams. The gifted writing of David McCullough (himself a worthy role model*) has allowed me to spend the last several weeks walking side by side with the President and Mrs. Adams, getting to know them and their family, learning from their lives, looking deep inside their souls, and finding much, much to inspire. I cannot say enough in recommending this book.

* John Adams, the television mini-series that originally aired on HBO, was recently released on DVD. Most of the script for this series was taken from John Adams (the book) by David McCullough. The DVD includes a special feature on the author, which is almost as inspiring as the book and the mini-series!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

This makes me want to read the book. I have no idea when I will do so -- I usually am trying to find good books to read - and now I have 5 just waiting for me to read. Hopefully this will soon be on my nightstand (in my reading pile)!.

Thaddeus said...

Most of what I know about John Adams comes from the musical 1776, starring Mr. Feeny. I'd love to be able to quote some of Adams' unsung wisdom. I'll get to this one after Rough Stone Rolling.